When the iconic meets the modern, the result is a masterpiece that commands attention and leaves a trail of awe. The 1968 Dodge Charger R/T, infused with the heart of a supercharged 6.2-liter SRT Hellcat V8 engine, is a manifestation of power, elegance, and innovation. Refurbished and modified to perfection, this Charger R/T is a symbol of automotive prowess that can’t be ignored.
A Fusion of Eras: Classic Design Meets Contemporary Power
Acquired by the current owner as a rolling project in 2015, the transformation of this 1968 Dodge Charger R/T is nothing short of remarkable. The exterior was rejuvenated with a sleek black finish, accentuating its classic lines while exuding an air of modernity. The addition of concealed Hellcat-style headlights, LED taillights, and stylish side mirrors enhances its aesthetic appeal, creating a harmonious blend of classic design and contemporary enhancements.
Unleashing the Beast: Hellcat Power and Performance
Under the hood lies the heart of a supercharged 6.2-liter SRT Hellcat V8 engine, a powerplant renowned for its jaw-dropping performance. Paired with a Tremec six-speed manual transmission, this Charger R/T delivers an electrifying driving experience that keeps enthusiasts on the edge of their seats. The installation of a dual stainless-steel exhaust system with MagnaFlow mufflers not only enhances the auditory experience but also releases the distinctive roar that’s synonymous with the Hellcat lineage.
A Symphony of Engineering: Suspension and Handling
To harness the immense power of the Hellcat engine, the Charger R/T has been equipped with a range of performance upgrades. Staggered-diameter US Mags wheels, measuring 18″ in diameter at the front and 19″ at the rear, are paired with Nitto tires that ensure maximum grip on the road. The addition of Viking Performance suspension components and a four-link rear setup from Control Freak Suspensions guarantees precise handling and a thrilling driving experience. Baer disc brakes with red six-piston calipers provide the stopping power needed to rein in this powerhouse.
Crafted Comfort: Interior and Technology
Step inside the cabin, and you’ll be enveloped in an atmosphere of comfort and sophistication. The front bucket seats and rear bench, upholstered in premium black leather from Legendary Auto Interiors, create a luxurious ambiance. The full-length center console with a pistol-grip shifter adds a touch of nostalgia, while modern conveniences like power windows and a Vintage Air climate-control system ensure a comfortable journey. The vintage-look radio with Bluetooth connectivity seamlessly integrates modern technology into the classic interior.
Commanding Attention: Dakota Digital Gauges and Styling
The cabin isn’t just about comfort—it’s also a cockpit of technology. Dakota Digital gauges, including a 160-mph speedometer and a digital odometer, provide essential information while adding a futuristic touch. The design cues and attention to detail showcase the perfect fusion of classic styling and modern innovation, making every moment behind the wheel an unforgettable experience.
Unveiling the Numbers: Dyno-Tested Power
The supercharged 6.2-liter SRT Hellcat V8 engine isn’t just about raw power—it’s about precision engineering. A dynamometer test in June 2022 revealed peak output of 691 horsepower and 658 lb-ft of torque, underlining the impressive capabilities of this performance-driven machine. Every aspect of the build has been carefully calibrated to ensure a harmonious balance between power and control.
The Road Ahead: Performance and Legacy
With approximately 820 miles driven since the completion of the build, this Hellcat-powered 1968 Dodge Charger R/T is a testament to the passion and dedication of its creators. The synergy between classic design elements and modern engineering is a testament to the ever-evolving nature of the automotive world. As it stands today, this Charger R/T is a road dominator that pays homage to its heritage while embracing the future.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who refurbished and modified this 1968 Dodge Charger R/T? Hot Rod Factory of East Bethel, Minnesota, meticulously refurbished and modified this Charger R/T, transforming it into the powerhouse it is today.
2. What is the significance of the supercharged 6.2-liter SRT Hellcat V8 engine? The supercharged Hellcat V8 engine is known for its remarkable power and performance, making it a sought-after choice for enthusiasts seeking exhilarating driving experiences.
3. How does the Tremec six-speed manual transmission contribute to the driving experience? The Tremec six-speed manual transmission adds an engaging and hands-on element to the driving experience, allowing drivers to fully exploit the potential of the Hellcat engine.
4. What modern features are integrated into the interior? The interior boasts power windows, a Vintage Air climate-control system, and a vintage-look radio with Bluetooth connectivity, seamlessly blending classic design with modern convenience.
5. How has the suspension and handling been enhanced? The Charger R/T features Viking Performance suspension components, a four-link rear setup, and Baer disc brakes, ensuring precise handling and confident control on the road.
Embracing the Future with Classic Roots
The Hellcat-powered 1968 Dodge Charger R/T is a testament to the power of innovation and engineering. With its powerful engine, modern upgrades, and classic design, it’s a car that bridges the gap between generations, capturing the essence of American muscle while embracing the advancements of today. This Charger R/T is more than a vehicle—it’s a statement, a legacy, and an embodiment of automotive passion.